Some of the biggest contributors for foundation repair in San Diego and surrounding areas are:
1. Inadequate drainage and water control away from concrete foundation
2. Expansive soil conditions under concrete foundation
3. Inadequate compaction techniques used under concrete foundation at time of construction
Soil conditions that impact foundation repairs in the San Diego area fall into three main categories:
1. Point Loma formation, is an excellent material to build foundations on. However, San Diego coastal areas where this formation is found, are full of cliffs, valleys and peaks. When developers first started building foundations for San Diego area houses, many were built in the coastal areas. Having primarily sloped conditions in these areas, developers would cut and fill prior to foundation construction. Inadequate compaction techniques used during this era were the leading contributor to the need for foundation repairs in these areas. A typical remedy for a cut and fill situation would be a caisson and grade beam/underpinning type of foundation repair.
2. High clay content soils found largely in the La Mesa/Santee (San Diego’s East County) area. Water is the number one offender in expansive soil conditions and a big contributor to the need for concrete foundation repair. Lack of control of adequate drainage can greatly affect these soil conditions and cause foundations to heave. Concrete Foundation repair for this type of situation would be a combination of remove and replace existing interior foundation with structural slab and underpin perimeter of existing foundation. Foundation repairs of this type definitely require temporary re-location of the occupants.
3. Steep slope type situations in San Diego are desirable to builders because of the views available from being at the top of a slope. However, much planning and consideration must be put into practice prior to foundation construction. In the old days, San Diego city requirements were inadequate. Today’s seven foot to daylight rule is what should have been done all along. Foundation repairs for slope type installations typically require shoring of the existing structure and a combination of caisson and grade beam and retaining wall fixes.
T.E. Nevares Concrete has extensive experience in concrete foundation repair in all types of soil conditions throughout San Diego County. We are proud to say that we can get in quick, clean and safe, exercising the highest degree of professionalism for your San Diego area concrete foundation repair.